Thursday, August 2, 2007

Changing Your Mindset - Part Two

Blogging with a Growth Mindset

As you know from my last post, I just finished reading Mindset by Carol S. Dweck. In Mindset, Dr. Dwecks explains her work on the "fixed" versus "growth" mindset. A person with a fixed mindset believes that their intelligence is fixed - there isn't anything he or she can do to change it. A person with a growth mindset believes that if they work hard and challenge themselves they will succeed and grow. Fortunately, those of us with fixed mindsets can change and learn to embrace a growth mindset.

As I have been encouraging people to try blogging, a lot of the resistance that I hear is a fear of writing. People will say to me, "I'm not a good writer," or "I'm a slow writer." This is a fixed mindset attitude. The more I write the faster and better I get. Blogging itself is improving my writing and my confidence in my writing. The only way to get better is to try - and maybe fail - but keep trying.

The beauty of blogging is that your entries should be short (just like attention spans). You don't have to write a lot. Just write a little bit about what you are thinking. Keep at it, don't give up and you will see that your writing will improve. Good writers are made not born. Open your mind to the possibility!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I find your words very inspiring. Thanks for suggesting the "keep at it" attitude.

Unknown said...

Thanks for encouraging writers to write. I just spent two weeks in Honduras working with a team of educators who are writing ESL curriculum. I had a lot of down time in the hotel; I certainly wished I had checked your blog. You keep saying just write and keep at it, and it not difficult once you get started.

ראובן ורבר said...

Hi Elizabeth,
Having met you at Classroom 2.0, I have taken the privelege to "tag" you.
http://classroom20.ning.com/profiles/blog/show?id=649749%3ABlogPost%3A40650
Hope you don't mind!
Reuven

Pamela Livingston said...

Hi Elizabeth, I followed you to your blog from Classroom 2.0 and want to say thank you for the 2 posts about "Mindset" - I also listened to the podcast by the author you've got linked. I'll soon have a $15.00 or so charge on some plastic but as a teacher, a newly-minted consultant/presenter/writer and a parent, this book is just what a need.

-- Pamela Livingston

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I would appreciate if you could write something on Dweck- Bullies and victims. I am planning to buy the book , but in the meantime I need some info

Allan

Anonymous said...

I´m peruvian and I have just known about Carol in one of my dentist´s magazine. I s really amazing her investigation. Now I know that I´m just a fixed person, but because some troubles that i have to face now in my life I know that I must change, I dont have any other solution or option, for me the things are clearer now....even it´s a psychological disorder and implies I have to work very hard.