Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Two For Tuesday: 10-23-07

1. Social networking for good rather than evil. There is a website called ning: http://www.ning.com where you can create your own social network around any topic you are interested in – baseball, knitting, technology… It can become a space to talk to people about your interest and find and get to know others that have something in common with you. There are some great public networks – the one I am active in is called http://classroom20.ning.com. It is a network created for teachers that are interested in integrating Web 2.0 technology tools into their classrooms.

You can also create closed networks on Ning that are by invitation only. They are very easy to set up. I have created networks for my school faculty and staff and for some of my classes. This is a new adventure - I'll write more about it in the future.

Here is a video that explains Social Networking (in plain English)




2. Increasing the text size in Word. Have you ever opened a word document and found the text too small to read? Here is a quick fix. On your Word toolbar there is a zoom drop down menu. The default setting is 100%. To increase your text size, click on the drop down menu and choose 125% or 150%.

1 comment:

Karen Janowski said...

Can I offer another quick way to increase the text size?
Select all (Ctl + A or Apple + A)
click Ctl + Shift + > - this allows you better control to change the text to exactly the size you need.(Then click Ctl + shift +< or Ctl + Z to undo what you did)

(I find I use this shortcut constantly - as my aging eyes struggle to see the text but also because larger text with more white space works better for kids with reading challenges.)