Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Two for Tuesday 12-11-07

1. Twittory-The Darkness Inside


Just after writing my "Found Twittery" poetry, I discovered a different meaning for the term. "Twittory" is a word coined by Cameron Reilly, a blogger and podcaster in Australia. A Twitory is a story written 140 characters at a time by 140 contributors from around the world submitted through Twitter. You can read about how Cameron came up with the idea here. I signed up to be one of the contributors and am eagerly waiting for my turn - I'm number 51. We are being slowed down a bit by time zones.

I've added a bunch of the people on the list of contributors to my Twitter network. Many of these people live in Australia and most are not Ed Tech people. It has been interesting to follow their tweets. My network is becoming much more diverse. I'm hoping it will lead me to new and intriguing resources.

Cameron is using Wikispaces to post the Twittory. You can follow the story here. I think this could be a great class project even without using Twitter. Why not use a Wiki and have the kids contribute in a round to a story. That could be a lot of fun.

2. Google Street View

You can now see photographs of many streets using Google Maps by clicking on Street View. If a street is highlighted in blue, that indicates that a street view photograph is available. This could be a great tool to help you find your way using landmarks. Students could also use the street view to explore different locations around the world.

2 comments:

Cameron Reilly said...

thanks for the plug liz! I don't think slow is necessarily a bad thing. Anticipation is your friend. :-)

Anonymous said...

Stories like this are often done in creative writing classes as end of year projects.
The key to such a project though is to one... not go too far away from the current subject line... huge twists and turns make things to choppy and unreadable.
Good luck with your spot, and enjoy the "ride."