Thursday, February 24, 2011

NAIS Unconference Next Year?

Wordle from EBCEast Unconference
As I was following the #NAISAC11 Tweets last night I had an idea...
What if we organize an unconference before the main NAIS conference next year? I organize Edubloggercon East before the Building Learning Communities conference in Boston every summer and Steve Hargadon organizes one before the ISTE conference every year. The NYAIS folks throw a great unconference at NEIT every year. I'm helping to organize Edcamp Boston this spring.  An NAIS unconference seems like a logical next step.

We could call it ISEDCamp, IndyCamp, UnNAIS, ISCamp...

What we need...
The biggest requirement is space. ISTE and BLC both donate space the day before their conference starts. Would NAIS do that? Ideally we would need wifi, projectors, a large meeting space and some breakout rooms. Does anyone know anyone or know someone who knows someone? Could we use a local school in Seattle near NAIS next year?

I am not at NAIS this year. If you are reading this and you are there talk it up a bit and see what people think. If we can do it, I'll definitely find my way to NAISac12 to help organize.



2 comments:

arvind s grover said...

Liz, when I went down to South by Southwest Interactive a few years ago I was introduced to Barcamp. All you really need is a bar, and we're ready to go. Take a look at their info, it's awesome:
http://barcamp.org/w/page/402984/FrontPage

Jenni Swanson Voorhees said...

I love this idea. I wonder if NAIS could afford to donate space...we know they can't provide wireless at the conference. But your idea of a Seattle school is good. Let's keep talking about it!