Thursday, October 4, 2012

Books For Boys: Book Reviews by Boys for Boys

As many of you know, I work in a boys school and we often struggle to keep our boys reading for pleasure. The Reading Zone by Nancy Atwell has inspired me to do more independent reading projects with my 7th grade English students. As both assessment and incentive, we have started a blog called Books For Boys. Students will be posting reviews of the books that they love. Eventually there will be book reviews from the entire student body. 

I hope this blog can help others find books that boys will love to read. Please check out Books For Boys and leave a comment. We would especially like to hear from other kids who have read the same book. Visitors can leave their review as a comment on any post. 

2 comments:

max said...

I like this idea. Of course, that's probably because I write action-adventures & mysteries especially intended for boys 8 and up. 10 are published now, and 10 more are under contract.

Your blog is a great idea!
Max Elliot Anderson
Books for Boys Blog http://booksandboys.blogspot.com

Karen Inglis said...

Hello - I'm a children's author based in London UK and my second children's book 'Eeek! The Runaway Alien'has received praise from teachers and parents (and children!) as a great book for boys and reluctant readers. In fact it is featured in the 'Books for Boys' & 'Books for Reluctant Readers' section of the UK's respected LoveReading4Kids website - with the reluctant readers' section curated by Julia Eccleshare, Children's Editor of The Guardian newspaper here in the UK.

Of course it's pitched at a younger readership than your boys but, as a parent of two boys - and having pitched my own book at boys in particular - I thought I'd leave a note of support for your site.

Just in case there are parents of younger boys reading this, please do Google Eeek! The Runaway Alien - and check out the reviews on Amazon UK and Goodreads (it has just one review on Amazon.com at the moment - I need to raise its profile over there!)

Best wishes,
Karen Inglis
www.eeekthealien.com